Saturday, January 16, 2010

Greater Love for the Word

Open my eyes,
that I may behold
wondrous things
out of your law.
I am a sojourner
on the earth;

hide not your
commandments

from me!
Psalm 119:18,19

In the midst of encountering the Lord in tangible, experiential ways as I have noted in recent posts, there has been growing hunger within me. It's a longing to REALLY know the Word... to study it, to soak it in, to digest it, to have it become even more a part of who I am; starting within and working outward, transforming what I feel, think, say, and do.

This was my constant personal prayer to God all throughout the day on Wednesday as I ran errands, turning the car into my very own prayer room. Then, that night, faith and encouragement rose in my heart as I watched the IHOP Awakening service and they spent more than an hour in song and fervent prayer asking for this very thing! I stretched out my open hands as I listened, posturing myself to receive from God a
spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of Him (Ephesians 1:17).

I've realized how easily I can slip into dullness, distraction, and boredom when I set aside time to encounter God in the Word. Somehow in my independence I often forget to simply, humbly ask and believe for the help of the Holy Spirit as I read and ponder the Word that He has given.
Jesus' word in John 16:13,14 is a powerful promise: When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come. He will glorify me, for he will take what is mine and declare it to you.

Lord, light the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment