Saturday, September 12, 2009

Coming Up Leaning

Leaning on some dear friends, Kerry, Nita, Angie, & Elizabeth - photo by Susan Shetler

Today's daily reading from Streams in the Desert is particularly significant to me in this season when I feel the need to be in a constant posture of leaning upon God even more consciously than ever.

Here's a brief excerpt from it:

Who is that coming up from the wilderness, leaning on her beloved?
- Song of Solomon 8:5


"Child of My love, lean hard,
And let Me feel the presence of your care;
I know your burden, child. I shaped it;
Balanced it in Mine Own hand; made no proportion
In its weight to your own strength,
For even as I laid it on, I said,
'I will be near, and while she leans on Me,
This burden will be Mine, not hers;
So will I keep My child within the circling arms
Of My Own love.' Here lay it down, nor fear
To impose it on a shoulder that upholds
The government of worlds. Yet closer come:
You are not near enough. I would embrace your care;
So I might feel My child reclining on My breast.
You love Me, I know. So then do not doubt;
But loving Me, lean hard."
--L.B. Cowman

No comments:

Post a Comment